Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Oh My Dumplin' Gluten-Free Chard Dumplings in chive broth

Well, dinner was a success. The dumpling recipe proved harder than I thought and if I had to do over again there is a little list I would follow to make things better. First is not to forget the salt and pepper and second is I probably wouldn't do this on a week night. That being said dinner was amazing and fresh and I couldn't have been happier with how my recipe translated into the gluten-free world. I got the inspiration for this dinner from this amazing blog. I did change a few things and of course made my own "wrappers" but I did loosely follow her tips.

For my Dumplings I used my Pamela's Baking Mix

2 c. of Baking Mix
3/4 c. of boiled water

I used my Kitchen Aide mixer for this, I put two cups of the baking mix in the bowl made a small well to pour the boiled water and poured as it slowly mixed. Once all the water was equally incorporated, I took my dough out wrapped it in saran wrap lightly coated with flour and let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. I tried to roll it out after that and the dough wasn't having it. So I set it in the fridge for another 15 minutes and it was perfect after that.

While I was letting my dough rest I worked on the filling.


2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 clove of garlic (chopped finely)
1 bunch of Chard leaves seperated from stem (choppped enough to make about 2 cups)
1/2 c. of ricotta cheese
1/4 c. green onions
4 slices of peppered turkey bacon (cut into small cubes)
and salt and pepper to taste...which I forgot.

I sauteed the chard in the olive oil adding one ingredient at a time, the garlic, the bacon and then the onions until everything was cooked. Then I put this into a bowl and added my ricotta cheese.


After my filling was done I rolled my dough out and began the assembly process (I used a pizza cutter because it was easier)!

Once the dumplings are assembled the process goes quick. You could definitely make these the day before and put them in the fridge until ready to cook. For the broth I used 4 cups of chicken stock and 4 cups of water and added about a 1/2 a cup of chives to it. I let it come to a boil and dropped the dumplings in. Making sure to cook them in small batches of 5-6 at a time (they are done when they float to the top). The end result was an amazing meal for my family...when my nine month old can eat chard like it's mac n cheese I know that I've done a good job!


I know next post will be me working on my photography skills...yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment